See what's on in Melbourne – there's always plenty to do!
Eat and Drink
Restaurants, cafes, bars and clubs are always buzzing in Melbourne. An eclectic range of cuisine is on offer across town - hidden down laneways, high above street level or overlooking the waterfront.
Arts and Culture
Melbourne is Australia's performing arts capital and kicks up its heels year round, with everything from opera and Broadway spectaculars to contemporary dance and comedy.
From the cutting edge to classic, boutique to big time, Melbourne’s vibrant retail scene is alive with alluring labels, products and shopping experiences – some home grown, some world-renowned.
Melbourne's bars turn serving a drink into an art form, enticing locals and visitors to the city’s destinations ‘after dark’. There are thousands of unique bars located in laneways, basements and on rooftops throughout the city.
If you’re in the city of Melbourne but short on time, you can enjoy a guided cultural interpretive walk around the Royal Botanic Gardens just a few minutes from the city centre. Here you’ll discover the plant lore of traditional foods, medicine, tools and ceremony on a site that was once a traditional camping and meeting place for the Boonwurrung and Woiwurrung people.
Aboriginal Heritage Walk
Journey into the ancestral lands of the Kulin nation and explore their rich and thriving culture on this award-winning walk in the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne.
Experience a traditional smoking ceremony with our Indigenous Guides and discover traditional uses of plants for food, tools and medicine.
Meet at the Visitor Centre, Observatory Gate
||11am - 12.30pm Tue – Fri + 1st Sun of the month
||$25 adults, $21 concession, $10 child (aged 6-17)
||03 9252 2429
Top 20 things to do in Melbourne
(BOLD = FREE)
- Discover Australia’s Aboriginal culture on a Koorie Heritage Walk
- See Australian art at the National Gallery of Victoria – Australia, Ian Potter Centre at Federation Square
- Live the sporting passion at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and National Sports Museum
- See the city from ‘The Edge’ – 88 stories up in the Eureka Tower
- Eat, drink and live like a local in Melbourne’s sophisticated secret laneways and neighbourhoods
- Meet multicultural Melbourne at the Queen Victoria Market
- Enjoy spectacular water views and stylish restaurants in South Wharf
- Stroll, skate or soak up the sun on the St Kilda beach promenade
- Wander city laneways to see Melbourne’s famous street art
- Join in the festivities at one of Melbourne’s many free public events (AIDS 2014 Cultural Progam is in development)
- Dine in the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant, while travelling city streets
- Capture the city spirit at Federation Square, home to galleries, cafés and bars
- Meet native animals at the Melbourne Zoo
- Discover Aboriginal culture at the Melbourne Museum’s Bunjilaka Aboriginal Heritage Centre
- Wander through Chinatown at sunset in search of dumplings
- Experience café culture on Lygon Street – Melbourne’s ‘Little Italy’
- Uncover the story of Melbourne at the magnificent State Library of Victoria’ s Dome Gallery
- Take in a show at one of Melbourne’s grand theatres
- Ride on the free City Circle Tram
- Tee off at one of Melbourne’s 15 championship golf courses