In an effort to ensure that AIDS 2014 is socially responsible, the Conference Secretariat has taken measures to:
REDUCE the environmental impact of the conference while supporting the local economy by:
REUSE conference surplus by:
- Using local suppliers who have good social responsibility policies, whenever possible,
- Supporting environmental and social projects and giving conference attendees the opportunity to do so through the registration process,
- Making the programme available online and through mobile application (free download).
- Using eco-friendly textiles for the production of conference materials, such as recycled PET lanyards and delegate bags made of non-woven fabric.
Providing a donation programme at AIDS 2014 to help eliminate the waste of conference supplies and materials. Donation boxes will be available at various locations throughout the venue. Those wishing to donate items that will no longer be needed after the conference (conference bags, office supplies, exhibition material, clothes, etc.) can leave the items at any of the conference donation boxes. All materials will be donated to local shelters and schools.
To learn more about our donation programme at AIDS 2014, please click here
RECYCLE conference waste by:
Giving conference attendees the opportunity to recycle their waste through sorting bins placed throughout the venue.
RAISE AWARENESS on:
a) Our greening efforts by:
- Communicating these efforts to our staff, suppliers, delegates and exhibitors.
b) HIV/AIDS issues for non-delegates by:
The venue’s approach
- Expanding our online coverage of conference issues,
- Giving the volunteers access to the sessions and to the content of the conference.
The Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre was the first centre in the world to be awarded a 6-Star Green Star environment rating by the Green Building Council of Australia for the Convention Centre’s innovative environmental design and operational features. To learn about the venue green initiatives and sustainable design please visit http://mcec.com.au
At the 20th International AIDS Conference, the conference organizers offer delegates the opportunity to contribute to a sustainability programme by ticking a box on the registration form.
All donations given by AIDS 2014 conference delegates will support two different projects
providing environmental, social and economic benefits.